On allotments and other earthy matters, in and around Stoke-on-Trent.
Monday, 11 January 2016
Tolkien in Staffordshire and Stoke
Opening 6th March 2016, the Cannock Chase Museum exhibition J.R.R. Tolkien & Staffordshire 1915-1918: A Literary Landscape surveys the influence of the middle part of Staffordshire on Tolkien. This follows on from 2015's excellent Tolkien and the Black Country exhibition at the Walsall Art Gallery.
Less well-known is that in his later years he also had a connection with North Staffordshire. This was the period after the first publication and lukewarm reception of The Lord of The Rings, and before the great work had been re-discovered and hailed by the new post-1967 generation of young readers.
Being an Oxford lecturer he had long holidays. From the late 1950s through to the early 1970s Tolkien spent many of his holidays with his son — who lived at 104 Hartshill Road, at the top end of Stoke town in Stoke-on-Trent. His son had lived there from 1957, and we know (from Tolkien's surviving letters) that the senior Tolkien spent the summer of 1960 in Stoke with his son, and many summer holidays thereafter. We also know from his letters that he spent winter holidays there, in the early 1970s — and perhaps earlier.
So it's fascinating to imagine that Tolkien, in his late sixties and seventies, might have been quite familiar with alighting from the Oxford train at Stoke station (there's still a direct two-hour service, today) with his trusty bicycle. Perhaps he bicycled from the station through Stoke town, and up onto the lower slopes of Hartshill. Once settled in, he might have regularly strolled down to a Stoke newsagents for some pipe-tobacco and a newspaper. He was fascinated by languages, so no doubt he would have had an eager ear for the strong and distinctive local dialect.
Given his academic interests it's perhaps conceivable he made at least one excursion to the eerie Lud's Church in the nearby Moorlands, one of the settings for the ancient North Staffordshire tale Gawain and The Green Knight — of which Tolkien had published a scholarly edition in 1925. He would publish it again, in a revised edition, in 1967.
Picture: Northcote House, 104 Hartshill Road, seen today. Converted to a children's nursery.